For more information, click here.
Local Hero nomination form found here.
For more information on City of Burnaby spring/summer activities for 2019, click here.
BALLOHOLIC YOUTH BASKETBALL SPRING SESSION 2019
The Spring Session for Balloholic youth basketball kicks off April 15 and registration has been open since February. We are happy to add a new varsity spring league for boys at Burnaby North Secondary this year.
Please check the website for further details on the Spring programs and to register online : https://www.balloholic.com/spring-session or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Balloholic provides classes for students in a fun environment for all skill levels from 5 years old to grade 9 in a year round program. Our coaches are trained and students learn the FUNdamentals of basketball in a modified games format. Classes are located throughout Burnaby in elementary and secondary schools. The program is designed to follow the LTAD model for sport in Canada.
BC Children’s Hospital and RBC Race for the Kids is the largest family fun run in Vancouver. RBC Race for the Kids inspires participants to raise funds for childhood cancer research and treatment as well as pediatric mental health research and programs areas at BC Children’s Hospital. RBC Race for the Kids will host runners and walkers of all ages and abilities on an exciting run, where participants can choose between a scenic 5 km route or a 2 km Fun Run, followed by a carnival celebration.
Click here for more information.
In addition, we are happy to try to coordinate a visit from Sunny Bear with a representative from RBC Race for the Kids attend a future assembly.
PARENTS NIGHT OUT – VAPING: The New Westminster School District has organized a Parents’ Night Out event on the topic of Vaping. The keynote speaker is Dr. Ingrid Tyler, Medical Health Officer for Fraser Health. The event is taking place next Tuesday, March 5th and we have approximately 100 “tickets” (free) still available. We would be happy to have invitations extended to parents from Burnaby schools. For more info, click here. To register, click here.
We are the Burnaby Oakeys, a non-profit softball organization. We have been serving the Burnaby Community since 1984 and have had thousands of athletes in Burnaby join our club over the past 35 years. At our peak, we were the biggest sports organization in Burnaby with over 1500 players per season and even hosted the Canadian National Championships in our very own Squint Lake Park.
About the Burnaby Oakeys:
The Burnaby Oakeys are a fastpitch softball club for girls aged 5-19 years. All skill levels accepted. ROOKIES are welcome!!
The season begins April through June, 2019.
Ages: 5 thru 19 years old
Where: Squint Lake Park, Burnaby BC
When do we play?:
- Learn to Play – (2011, 2012, 2013) – Saturdays 1:30 – 3:30 PM | Price: $49*
- U10 – (2008, 2009 – 2010) – Tuesdays & Thursdays | Price: $49*
- U12– (2007 – 2008) – Monday & Wednesday | Price: $99*
- U14– (2005 – 2006) – Tuesdays & Thursdays | Price: $99*
- U16– (2003 – 2004) – Mondays & Wednesdays | Price: $99*
- U19– (2000 – 2002) – Tuesdays & Thursdays | Price: $99*
- FREE Winter training on now!
- More information at SoftballBurnaby.com
- Come and play with us! Register today!
Our core beliefs include:
- Accessible to all: we adopted many steps to make softball accessible to all- from lowering our season registration down to $49 to offering free winter clinics to all our players.
- Empowering girls in sports: Many of our former players went on to receive full-ride scholarships in many esteemed Candian and US Colleges. But every girl has learned how to work in a team environment, be adaptable and set goals and execute them.
- Sportsmanship: Our emphasis is on sportsmanship. Sportsmanship and fair play are not only encouraged but it is expected of the players, the parents and the Coaches.
- Free Training: We offer free winter training for players.
The 2019 City of Burnaby Environmental Awards Program nomination process is now open. Nominations must be received by Friday, April 5th.
The Terms of Reference and Nomination Form provide detailed information about the program, the award categories and the process.
Click here for Terms of Reference and Nomination form.
Time for only a quick glance, then just note the following:
- Submission deadline for nominations: Friday, April 5th, 2019
- There are six (6) categories of awards: Business Stewardship, Communications, Community Stewardship, Green Choices, Planning and Development, and Youth.
- Visit burnaby.ca/environmentawards for the online nomination information and to view a list of past recipients.
- Those selected will be announced to the public on Monday, May 27th and will receive their awards at a regular meeting of Council on Monday, June 10th.
In the past, students from Burnaby schools have been recognized along with various school facilities with noteworthy achievements in sustainability.
We are a youth for youth initiative that thrives to empower the next generation to take action for a better community, and for a better world.
Part of that goal is to provide the tools for the next generation, and help them with their own action plans, startups and offer life education. (Education not found in our current school systems); and another part is to deter youth from the path of crime and violence , which in recent years has gained prominence in the streets of Vancouver and the lower mainland.
Our programs are divided up into two main outlets, our Mini series and Mega series camps.
The Mini series was held on February 23rd and 24th in Surrey.
Our Mega series is a four days, three nights camp that happens in the month of March 28th – 31st. This is where we invite speakers, and activity co-ordinators from across the country and around the world to interact with participating youth. We also offer workshops for the students to take part in, and provide them with mentors for life. We have also received a letter of recognition from the Honourable prime minister of Canada Mr. Justin Trudeau.
We were wondering if you knew of any students in grades 7-12 that would benefit from attending our mega series camps, as well as any students in grades k-7 that would take away something from our mini series workshops.
Participants can register online: www.campweempower.net